Monday, January 30, 2012

One picture is worth a thousand denials. [Ronald Reagan]

I was at a meeting recently before which people started showing pictures of their pets (serves me right for showing up on time).  This disturbs me on a number of levels. The first and most obvious issue is why would anyone carry around pictures of their pets?  I am known on several continents for my love of pets, and unabashedly admit that my last dog was one of the 3 greatest things I have ever loved, and though she's been dead for over 10 years, I still think of her every day.  But I don't carry pictures of her or the current pets.  I suspect the current portable electronic devices are much to blame here, though, as people can so easily take pictures and video of anything and anyone and transport them with their iPods et al.  I conclude, then, that you could talk about just about anything and people will have pictures to show.  I'll try to remember not to talk about vacations.

But beyond the ease of doing so, why do people want to have so many pictures in the first place?  I guess it facilitates memory, but I've always maintained that the memories are in my head so I don't need a lot of pictures.  As I grow older, however, I'm beginning to understand that memory becomes harder and maybe photos and videos make sense.  Unfortunately, I also suspect that there may be a small window here between pictures helping to remember and not being able to remember the pictures.

I've noticed that people enjoy showing pictures and videos much more than looking at them, and in fact, people will politely tolerate viewing other pictures for the privilege of  showing their own.  Of course, often it's just one of the social niceties that one extends to be civil.  I really haven't the slightest interest in looking at baby pictures- ever- but I often do, even requesting to do so, and coo appreciatively all for the purpose of making my friend or relative feel good.  A small price to pay for friendship.

And finally, just because you carry an appliance that allows you to quickly take a photo or video virtually anywhere does not necessarily entitle you to do so.  I understand that if I'm at the zoo or Disneyland that I have to be on the lookout not to spoil people's pictures.  But do I really have to wait in a supermarket aisle while someone pretends to be Carol Merrill displaying canned goods while her friend laughingly snaps a pic.  Hilarious.  Worse still is somebody just waiting for your awkward or embarrassing moment to take their version of America's Funniest Video and post it on YouTube or Facebook.  It's hard enough being an idiot without everyone anxious to make that known to the world.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home