Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Star in the Window

My dad was a kid during WWII, and followed the battles and generals as kids follow sports teams and stars today. He has collected war pins, for example, and some have one or more stars in the center. I learned that when a family lost someone in the war, they would display that poster, flag, or pin with the gold star(s) to show that a loved one(s) had died in battle. Today, as I was driving to work I for the first time saw such a flag with a star displayed in a neighbor's window. It wasn't there yesterday.

When I was a kid during the Vietnam War, the paper used to publish each day how many men were killed or wounded on each side. It was like some sort of perverse scorecard. I'd see how many more of the enemy were killed than Americans and think we were winning. Then I came to know some families who'd lost a love one, and they didn't think we were winning. And then the rest of us knew that we weren't.

I cannot talk in class about the Vietnam War, the Moon Landing, and so many other things that are so important to my past, as it is just history to a room full of 21 year olds, who will typically think "What does this have to do with me?" And so most people will see that star in the window and not know what it means. But I know what it means, and it brought tears to my eyes. It means that a little girl is never going to see her daddy again.

How many more daddies is Bush going to kill? We have found the weapon of mass destruction; it is in the White House.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not talk about the Iraq war and the star in the window you saw February 28th? Maybe you already have?

On the Bush remark, Bush is not the one to hold responsible for the butchering! It is the system that allowed a Bush to exist!

Go back to your reminiscing and remember the toughest kid in school (America). Whether he was a bully or a good guy he was the one dictating the rules of the game. No one wants to be dictated to (World)! The wimps and geeks won’t stand up to him (Europe) and the others are bad guys with other things to deal with (Poor countries or I want my piece of the action countries). The toughest kid won’t ever go away only his face will change. I guess it is up to us (The “been there done that guys”) to make a stand and change the system that allows the toughest guy to exist rather than use his strengths for the whole and not himself. You want to make a difference? Give me a call and we can talk. Who knows maybe we can save some lives?

April 11, 2007 at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home