Sunday, December 20, 2009

Why do the prettiest people do the ugliest things?

The answer, as with so many things, may be because they can.  But that is too facile.  Conventional wisdom says that pretty people are treated better than others.  I don't think there's much question about that.  But rather than focusing on why that is, and I'm sure there's been a lot of studies on that, I wonder whether very attractive people, and by that I mean pretty, powerful, famous, and whatever is attractive, do unattractive things at a higher frequency than the rest of us.  Superstars obviously play by different rules than we do, but does that make them worse people?

What prompts this is the recent disclosures regarding Tiger Woods.  You can bet that when a cheater gets caught, it is not his first time cheating.  And it is not as though he had Hilary Clinton for a wife, which would allow some mitigating circumstance.  No, it is not so unusual that Tiger was an adulterer; so many are.  But beyond the salacious details of his "indiscretions," (as Rick Pitino says), was the extraordinary juggling of over a dozen women simultaneously. I'd like to think that I've never cheated on my wife because I choose not to, though the painful truth may be that no one else would have me.  Yet I'm quite confident that if I was a cheatin' weasel that there's no way I could attract and handle that many women.  Sure, Tiger is young and handsome, but what possesses so many women to be involved with this married man?  Yes, I know that many women like the bad boys, the powerful, and the hunks.  But isn't the explanation just so much simpler?  The guy probably makes $100 million a year.

Class envy?  I think not; there's no class to envy here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home