Thursday, August 21, 2008

So Remote

I have faint memories of having only a couple of fuzzy channels to choose from as a little tyke, but for much of my childhood there were the three black-and-white major networks, a PBS station, and perhaps two UHF stations if the weather was OK. Then we got a new TV, and that was a huge deal to see Gilligan "in living color." And by the way, the classic debate- Ginger or Maryann? The correct answer is Jeannie.

Now the cable system has again changed their channels and numbering system, as apparently I was beginning to learn where things were. Now the channels go up to 1951! There are likely some holes in the line-up, and a good many of them are pay stations, but so much redundancy and parsing the demographics/psychographics ever finer. Sixteen free news stations (plus 3 HD news channels) and more than that again in various language news channels. Two horse racing stations? Fourteen HBO options? and on and on. By the time I go through the electronic guide, the shows are over.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Erik Marks said...

On a bit of a tangent, but that picture on the side has me ready to rant. I'm no luddite, but why does every TV/DVD remote have 700 buttons nowadays? It took me 10 minutes to figure out the DVD menu this afternoon, and all I wanted to do was watch Leon the Professional.

Electronics producers are losing sight of the "KISS" principle- Keep it Simple, Stupid. I miss the days of a remote control being the 10 digits, on/off/volume, and maybe a few buttons for recall or favorites- anything more complicated than that you got off your seat to the controls on the actual TV. If it takes me more than 20 minutes to figure these things out my poor mother doesn't stand a chance.

August 23, 2008 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Dead Man Blogging said...

Agreed. And a particularly pernicious feature of this particular remote is the proximity of the "On Demand," i.e., you have to pay even more, button to the few things you actually use. The result is that you are in Pay-per-View mode accidentally and Lord help you if you hit the wrong button then. My kids accidently bought a movie before I figured out how to provide an extra step to keep them from doing so.

August 26, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home