Thursday, September 11, 2008

451

It has gotten to the point that at some public schools, the costs of the books may rival and even exceed the costs of the class. Many instructors in choosing texts will now consider the cost to the student as a primary selection criterion, but still it may be difficult to find even a paperback for under three figures. Why does this happen?

The model used by publishers is broken. If you need proof, look at the profitability of the textbook divisions and the consolidation of the industry. Textbook publishers are bleeding, so they raise the price of texts and shorten the cycles, and now new texts are coming out in as little as two years (and often "predated," so that you may see 2010 copyrights released early in 2009). There are a number of factors here. Importantly, a book may be resold many times to reappear frequently as a used copy (I'm told a book averages 9 turns). Add in borrowing (and now renting), legal or more typically illegal copying, and the publishers are lucky to supply 10% of the demand for texts with new books. Granted, publishers themselves obtain used copies and will resell them, but this is only modestly beneficial for them. Now factor in the small production runs not only for reduced demand but for "special interest" classes (as opposed to the big lecture, multi-section broad appeal classes), as well as the costs involved in personal selling, promotion (including promotional and free desk copies), distribution, administration, warehousing and handling, publishing costs (writers, editors, permissions, printing, graphics, etc.), overhead, etc., and these publishers are on hard times.

So they try other options, like on-line versions, which are very inexpensive to distribute and may be offered at perhaps half the price of the hard copy, but students want their hard copy because of the portability as well as the easy of reading (Who wants to read a computer screen for hours at a time?) Online distribution won't work, in my opinion, until an appliance makes it attractive for readers. So if somebody comes up with an iPod device for print, maybe. (And I'm sure there must be lots of people working on this. If not, there's another billion-dollar idea I just gave someone) Publishers also offer professors "a la carte" versions of a text that can be built to order, where only certain chapters may be included to reduce the cost. Some professors do this, but it is not a popular option yet.

So the price of books keeps going up, and students then seek lower-priced options on Amazon, eBay, and cheaper options than the school bookstore, so the bookstores and publishers then increase their mark-ups, impelling students to seek cheaper options, and before you know it it's heading up toward a thousand dollars a semester to buy new books for a full-time student.

Now don't even get me started on the you-need-a-car-to-get-to-work-and-need-to-work-to- get-a-car thing.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Erik Marks said...

So far in my college career, I have to admit that the online textbook from Atomic Dog has been my second favorite. I say second favorite, because my favorite was my COBOL textbook, which, being a 50 year old technology, only cost me 3 dollars.

Of course, the online textbook appealed to me because I always have a laptop on hand, which isn't practical or available for some students and campuses. On the other hand, printers are getting cheaper and there's always the campus computer lab. I don't know a single student that actually reads every page they're supposed to anyway, and most professors don't go through every chapter in a textbook either.

I don't know if it would be cost effective, but web distributed copies of textbooks accompanied with appropriately abridged audiobook copies would really appeal to me- I'd probably pay as much for that as a fresh hardcover copy. I spend at least 30-40 minutes driving to and from school. Being able to listen to the main chapters in the car, while I'm working, or walking from class to class would be incredibly convenient. Obviously this wouldn't work for, say, calculus textbooks, but for certain subjects it would be fantastic.

There is the risk that students would simply stop reading the textbooks completely and use the audio portion, but for most of the students I know this would be an improvement.

Hindsight is 20/20 though, I wish I had been perceptive enough to get some audiobook copies of the horrid novel selections for my Core 2 Literature class.

September 12, 2008 at 11:27 PM  
Blogger Dead Man Blogging said...

Why not audio books? I hope the publishers are listening.

September 19, 2008 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Erik Marks said...

Let's be honest, who doesn't go cross eyed after more than 4 pages of textbook reading? I'd almost argue that for subjects that don't require visual aids, knowledge would be better absorbed with audiobooks than the traditional paper and ink approach- at the very least it would be an excellent supplement.

September 19, 2008 at 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home