Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Cookies

What kind of cookies does Santa like?  I mean, this is not the time to aggravate the big guy, and by the reputed looks of him, he knows his cookies.  He must get tired of the same old cookies, but putting something novel on the plate is risky.  We put out some homemade gingerbread cookies this year.  He seemed to like them, but I don't think he was thrilled with those hard little ball decorations, which are like tiny jawbreakers.  But at least it was better than the same old sugar, chocolate chip, and the rest that he sees millions of times.  And I think it is good form to leave a couple of carrots out for the reindeer.

But what I really want to know is who decided that oatmeal and raisins go well  together?  Raisins are just rotten grapes, and they certainly don't belong in cookies.  Sometimes its nice to have a cookie that's not quite so sweet, and oatmeal can be OK, but raisins just spoil them.  I bet Santa would like a nice oatmeal cookie without the raisins.

I really like some homemade Christmas cookies, particularly the almond spritz cookies that my mom used to make and took my wife 15 years to approach near-mom quality.  She makes a few batches just before Christmas, perhaps a gross or so, but those last about a day (I really like those cookies).  Then I have to go through withdrawal and wait another year.  Why are Christmas cookies made only at Christmas?  Can't the same recipe be used to make these cookies at other times of the year?  We're not talking about vomitous eggnog or toxic fruitcake here. Those cookies would go great with a lot of holidays.  In fact, many all holidays need cookies.  It's just not right to restrict these tasty delights to Christmas.  As Jacqueline Suzanne said, "Once is not enough."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home