Sunday, May 09, 2010

Grin and Tonic

Why aren't business mistakes ever in your favor?  Yesterday I was bagging my own groceries as I normally do, which I mostly do to get out quicker but I suppose there's some deeper psychological reason, and of course I didn't notice the checker's mistake.  Usually it is an item that doesn't scan correctly (or the more insidious mis-shelved item; fell for that with the potato salad last week), but I've noticed that the on-item coupons, to be removed by the checker, are rarely removed and credited.  Yes, it's a small thing, but it's an aggravating thing, as the reason I bought the item in the first place is because of the coupon.  

OK, I'm a man, I'm cheap.  They say that if you take care of the pennies, the dollars take care of themselves.  (Obviously "they" aren't married.).   Those dollars aren't going to keep the kids out of college. They're just small things that don't go our way- ever.  And is it worth it to seek remediation?  Usually not.  Businesses complain, legitimately, about shoplifting and employee theft, but do they ever mention when consumers are overcharged or underserved?  Businesses raise prices, put the onus on us to recover our losses, and overall it probably more than evens out for them.  The thieves, well let's just hope that what goes around comes around. Meanwhile, the rest of us jamokes who don't get our coupons credited, get our car doors dinged, and fall prey to the small print of life, just have to grin and bear it.
.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Erik Marks said...

It probably varies from place to place, but when I worked retail my managers were equally unhappy when the registers were either short or had too much at the end of the night. I won't disagree though, I can only think of one instance where I came out ahead, whereas countless numbers of screw ups have been in favor of the business.

May 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home