Sunday, June 06, 2010

Can't Stop the Music

I've noticed that a few devices and software, notably the iPod Touch that I own, and the iTunes account that I am therefore essentially forced to use, apparently do not have an off command when playing music.  While this may well be simply yet another manifestation of my significant cognitive limitations, I've read that a lot of people have this same question, i.e., how do you stop the song other than pausing it or switching to another application?  The responses almost universally state that pausing or switching accomplishes the same purpose, and perhaps they do, but there is something disconcerting  about a device or application that  has a start but not a stop, or at  least a stop that is obvious.  I am quite comfortable with ambiguity, but this is different.  This is the other shoe that hasn't dropped, the unfinished symphony, the purpose unfulfilled. I started something, and intend to stop it, but am not allowed to do so, and instead must place the song in a disingenuous stasis.  Where is the execution of purpose? Where is the closure?  Where is the truth?  There is an arrow which  means start, the bars that mean pause, why not an octangular symbol for stop?  Allow me to let that song die with dignity.  (And with that last line you may see that I am not only ruminating about the missing stop button on an iPod Touch.)


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home