Sunday, January 09, 2011

"Dancing in the desert blowing up the sunshine."

I was in San Diego for the holidays, and having lived there for nine years and visited several times since, there really isn't a lot new to see.  What was different this time was spending a couple of days in the desert.  I've been to the desert, both the high desert and low desert, a few times, just touring, hiking, or passing through.  But this was more of a recreation area, a valley dedicated to bikes and buggies and other toys.  I enjoyed walking across the valley and into the mountains- not as dramatic or as far as it sounds- but it was a few hours alone with the sand and the wind, and nobody around for a nice little peaceful adventure.  Used to do that a lot with a dog I once had, but not too much anymore.  But as I was at the top of the mountain overlooking the valley, Mexico off in the distance on one side, the Salton sea on the other, with El Centro and Arizona beyond the military base and state prison, I couldn't help thinking why would people despoil an entire valley just so that they could play?  In two days I don't think I saw a single non-human creature beyond a few stink bugs.  The clearest night sky I'd seen in many years, phenomenal wind at times, and an almost lunar landscape, but just a big sandbox to the hedonists.

When I grew up in New England there was an area in Boston known as the "Combat Zone."  The thinking at the time was that it was worth sacrificing a couple of blocks for strip clubs and seedy bars to allow and contain those things that decent people didn't want to see in their neighborhoods or by their businesses.  That recreation area was like the Combat Zone of the desert, sacrificing miles of natural beauty to protect the rest of the local environment, I guess.  I suppose it's smart, but also sad.  The desert was not only in the land.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home