Sunday, July 10, 2011

Speed Demons

Maybe we should just eliminate traffic laws and drive like people do in Boston (or Rome, or Istanbul, or most metropolitan areas), as the only moving violation that seems to be enforced is speeding.  I'm not whining about getting a speeding ticket, as I haven't had one for almost 20 years.  I don't believe that is coincidental, by the way, as I haven't been driving a red sports car since around then.  I'm convinced that the "Arrest me red" folklore is true.  I don't drive any differently, and yet my car now seems to be invisible (will probably get a ticket soon for saying that).  Anyway, I see people run stop signs, right on reds, and even red lights all day long.  Who gets stopped for running a stop sign or not stopping for a right on red, and almost everyone does, unless the police are looking for an excuse to stop you to see if you've been drinking.  Click it or ticket?  I don't think so.  Wrong way?  Who cares.  And do cars even come equipped with turn signals anymore?  Look at all the drivers without registrations, licenses, inspection stickers, still allowed to drive with drunk driving records, and a million other things, but as long as they don't get caught speeding, it's all good.  As an interesting aside, I read a while ago that a company in California (where else) sells vouchers so that people can pre-pay speeding tickets.  The way it works is that you can, for example, pay $13.33 for a $100 voucher to be applied toward a future ticket (don't know if there is an expiration date)- kind of a speeding ticket insurance policy. Pretty crazy, huh?

(image from gamerevolution.com)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Will said...

I just newly knew about the pre-pay speeding tickets. It sounds like an insurance to me. I wonder if many people will buy it. :D

September 3, 2012 at 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home