Sunday, June 20, 2010

The male anorexia

I mentioned this phrase in passing a while ago, but as I dragged myself out tonight to run, or what passes for running, it makes me think about those guys that actually like to run.  I think that most of us run out of fear or guilt, fear of the consequences of being out of shape, or guilt for not being in shape.  And running requires little preparation, skill, or investment.  Just lace up and go.

As an aside, I think stretching before running is highly overrated.    If it's just a "casual" run, it's a waste of time to stretch. Maybe 10-15 seconds- not 10-15 minutes- of cursory stretching of the calves, quads, and hammies just to get your muscles and brain committed to the idea of the upcoming unpleasantness.  Then just start off fairly slowly to warm up.  If you're going to stretch, stretch after the run,or between runs, and take it easy there too.  I'll bet more people pull muscles stretching than they do distance running.

But back to the male anorexia idea.  I'm not making light of anorexia, as that is a terrible affliction.  I don't really understand the compulsion, how one could have such a strong negative body image as to starve oneself (I can understand bulimia better, but still sad), but I understand that it is a compulsion.  And I think that for some runners, especially male runners, running is a compulsion.  It's not the running that most of us like, it's doing something good for your body that gives us pleasure (or relieves fear or guilt).  In other words, it's not the pleasure of running, but the pleasure of having run. I want to not only be around for my kids and maybe grandkids, but be able to be active with them.  It is a responsibility to health, or maybe the ability to be alone with your thoughts (when you get good enough so that those thoughts are of something other than throwing yourself into traffic to end the pain), that drives most of us to hit the pavement.  But there are too many that "have to run."  I'm not talking about those that treat running as their sport and do so for comptetion.  The have-to runners feel real anxiety if they cannot run at the planned time. They are out in all kinds of weather- intentionally- and don't use their treadmills to hang clothes.  But as compulsions go, you could do a lot worse.

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."  Jim Ryun

or maybe it's just endorphin addiction

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home