Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes." Richard Pryor



The most believable lies seem to be the ones that are most unbelievable.  By that I mean that the real power in a lie is in fabricating unlikely details that take it from a typical, plausible situation to an atypical, implausible one, which strangely seems to carry more credibility.  I remember once, many years ago, when an old girlfriend called out of the blue (probably one of those drunk calls) and my brother happened to answer the phone.  I told him I didn't want to talk to her, so he goes on to have a conversation with her, inserting information such as that I was now married, and here comes the brilliant part, and had recently had twins, one of whom had a deformed arm which had been repaired by surgery and was now normal.  Now the twins part was pretty good, but the bad arm with a happy ending seemed utterly convincing.  Over the many years since then, I've paid more attention to what makes a "story" seem more believable, and it's not just details, but atypical details that seem to do the trick.   In the days when I used to write multiple choice questions, for the bluffs I'd often insert specific details, usually completely unrelated to the question, and these were the ones that students often fell for.  I'll bet that psychologists have an explanation for the believing of the unlikely over the likely.  Think of all the businesses that really on this.  Insurance companies, organized religion, political parties, advertisers, and so many more.  Lies, lies, everywhere lies.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home